Taipower - LCI Workshop Series 10: Floating Wind Policy and Technology Workshop 浮式風力政策暨技術工作坊
Taipower - LCI Workshop Series
"Floating Wind Policy and Technology Workshop"
- Date: Tuesday, 25 July 2023
- Time: 14:00-16:55 (Reception starts at 13:30)
- Venue: 1115 Room, Taiwan Power Research Institute (Gongguan Branch) 台電綜合研究所公館所區 1115 會議室
- Address: No. 198, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Rd., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City 台北市中正區羅斯福路四段 198 號
- Organizers: Taiwan Power Company 台灣電力公司; ECCT Low Carbon Initiative (LCI) 歐洲商會- 低碳倡儀行動
- Registration Link
While floating offshore wind energy is still in its infancy, it has enormous potential for growth given the fact that floating platforms can be installed far from shore in deep water. The 2022 Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) annual report projects that there will be 180GW of installed global floating offshore wind capacity by 2050, comprising close to 13,000 floating turbine units. Floating wind will also be essential if Taiwan is to reach its offshore wind capacity targets of 20GW by 2035 and 40-55GW by 2050. However, there are a number of challenges to overcome before the floating wind can really take off, including having in place the right policy and regulatory framework.
To support Taiwan's active promotion of floating wind demonstration projects and the inclusion of floating wind turbines in its energy development goals, in this 10th in the series of joint LCI and Taipower workshops and the second of 2023, speakers from the government and industry will discuss the most important issues related to floating offshore wind energy policy and technology.